While the global Covid-19 pandemic continues to restrict international travel, it isn’t stopping people from bringing a flair of France into their homes – through food!
Wouter Vermeulen, General Manager Southern Africa, Air France KLM, notes that while we are all being responsible citizens practising social distancing, people across the world are finding creative ways to bring the world to them.
“During this time of lockdown we have seen people embracing virtual travel to their dream destinations. And while it is no replacement for the real thing, it helps keep that travel dream alive. Another way we have seen people bringing the world to them is through food! Seeing all of those posts from people baking bread is enough to send you into a daydream about indulging in a freshly-baked baguette as you picture yourself strolling through the streets of Paris,” Vermeulen says.
Until it is permitted to hop on board an Air France flight directly to fabulous France, some of South Africa’s greatest culinary maestros share some of their favourite traditional French recipes to help bring the magic of France into your own home.
Chilli Chocolate Chefs’ Creamy Prawn Bisque
Prawns are often used in French cuisine and this delicious recipe from the Chilli Chocolate Chefs is packed with French flavour in an easy and delicious dish that will certainly transport you to the fine dining restaurants Paris is famous for.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
2 tbsp. Butter
1 tbsp. Crushed Garlic
1 tsp. Dried Mixed Herbs
1 Carrot, grated
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 sprigs thyme
250g Prawns, shelled & deveined
30ml Tomato Paste
Crushed Black Pepper
2 tbsp. Butter
1 tsp. Lemon Pepper
2 tsp. Crushed Garlic
1. Heat the butter in a pot.
2. Add in the carrots, onions & cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add in the garlic, thyme & mixed herbs & cook for a few minutes.
4. Add in ¾ of the prawns, tomato paste, water & simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Blend the mix in a food processor until smooth & creamy.
6. Place back in the pot & add the cream.
7. Season with Salt & Black Pepper.
8. For the garnish… Heat the oil in a frying pan & fry the remaining prawns with butter, garlic, lemon pepper & parsley.
9. Spoon the soup into the bowls & top with the garlic prawns.
10. Drizzle with cream & ideally serve with pesto puffs.
Thanks to the team from Air France KLM for sharing this tasty treat with us!